Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Electric Micro RC Helicopters - Indoor / Outdoor Models

They just keep getting better and better:  electric RC helicopters small enough to fly inside your house or apartment.  When the weather's bad and it's too wet, cold or windy to fly outside,  we can still enjoy flying our miniature remote control helicopters indoors.  I am still in the beginner stage of flying RC helicopters and I'm sticking to the simpler models for now, but there are some very sophisticated high quality models in the micro size, for more experienced intermediate to advanced fliers. Some of the most amazing aerobatic and 3D flights I have seen on YouTube were filmed inside.

Many indoor models can be flown outdoors as well.  Just be sure to read the instruction manual and if it says something like, only fly outdoors when the wind speed is not greater than 5 miles per hour, they are not kidding around and you should take that as gospel - don't risk smashing your baby.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm one of the owners of RC Planes and Copters and I spend a good deal of time reading about RC products for our store.  Last week I "tested"  the new Verticar from Megatech. Tested - ha!  Played with it is more like it! I love my job...  Anyway, the Verticar is fully assembled and comes with everything you need, in the box, except for the 6 AA alkaline batteries needed for the transmitter.
Megatech VertiCar


The VertiCar's electric engine is powered by a LiPo battery inside the vehicle,  and it is charged by connecting the Verticar to the Transmitter.  It has a "running mode" for traveling on the ground like a car and "flying mode" for the rc helicopter mode.  The VertiCar is so small and light-weight and its wheels are so narrow, that it doesn't roll well on bumpy or grooved surfaces.  It needs smooth surfaces when in running mode.  Being the flight bug that I am, I spend most of my time in flying mode.  Initially, my model was spinning out of control but there's a trim adjustment dial on the Transmitter and I played with the dial until I found the right spot -  and then I had a blast hovering from room to room. It smacked into the walls and doors a few times and made some rough landings - no damage so far.  Included in the package is an extra set of replacement blades and a small Phillips head screwdriver (for the battery compartment on the transmitter).  It can be flown outdoors, but only when there's no wind and when you're flying inside - be sure to turn off your ceiling fans!

It's day four of EAA's AirVenture 2010 and I have really enjoyed reading and watching the news.  I didn't get to go this year, but I'm saving up and hope to be there in 2011.  You can watch EAA's videos including daily reports from AirVenture 2010 on their channel: http://www.eaa.org/video/airventure.html

If you are a fan of RC aviation I would love to hear from you. Help me improve my blog with your feedback and suggestions!

Until next time, have fun, stay safe and Keep Flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment